Cream of Mushroom Soup with White Wine & Crispy Garlic Bread:
What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped (Feel free to do less, I am a garlic lover)
3 mushrooms of your choice (shitake, portobello and chestnut)
Sea salt and pepper
8oz/220g of white wine (I used chardonnay)
7fl oz/200g of vegetable stock
2fl oz/50ml double cream and/or half- and- half
3 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Freshly shaved parmesean (as much as you desire)
1 baguette or ciabatta loaf
2. Slice your bread in to quarters, brush lightly with olive oil and stuff garlic pieces in the bread.
3. Melt the butter and olive oil and/or truffle oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft/translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, then season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Add the white wine and cook to reduce by half.
6. Add the stock and simmer for five minutes, then add the cream and parsley.
7. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium-low heat.
8. Place your bread in the oven to crisp.
9. Once taken out of the oven, rub a raw piece of garlic on the bread for extra flavour (if so desired).
10. Serve soup in in a bowl and garnish with shaving or parmesan, mushrooms and parsley alongside the crispy garlic bread for dipping. (Would go nicely with a drizzle of truffle oil as well)
11. Pairs nicely with a glass of chardonnay (preferably the one cooked in the soup).